When thinking of a dangerous sea creature, what do you think of? Maybe a Great White Shark with sharp teeth, or a jellyfish with its stinger. But did you know that the lionfish is considered to be one of the most venomous fish in the sea?! The spikes that you can see on lionfish are called pectoral rays, and they are all extremely venomous.
Since lionfish are an invasive species, they multiply very quickly, and have huge appetites! Lucky for them, they are the predators, and are never prey--not even sharks want to eat these guys!
Check out the full story!
Lionfish usually hide during the daytime and remain motionless, and are awake during the night to feed. They catch their prey by trapping it into a corner, but they don't bother chewing their food--they swallow it whole! Their favorite foods on the menu? Small fish, shrimps, and crabs. Lionfish can live to be 16 years old when living in the wild.
So what happens if you get stung by one of these beautiful, but dangerous, creatures? Stay calm, but treat it right away. The best way to treat the sting is to heat the affected area. Although lionfish are fun to look at, it's probably best to observe them safely through the aquarium tank!